paintballHomepaintballPicturespaintballTechnicalpaintballTournamentpaintballRecreationalpaintballFieldspaintballStorespaintball
paintballBeginner InfopaintballNews And ArticlespaintballLinkspaintballResourcespaintballVideopaintballContact UspaintballSearchpaintball
WARPIG Tech Talk - Spyder

Not much value for your money.

In Reply to: Is a Shutter a good first gun? posted by Matthew on August 29, 2003 at 20:19:49:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tech Talk - Spyder ]

Posted by:
Dale "Head_Hunters" DuPont
on August 31, 2003 at 16:37:41

I AM a Spyder fan. Own three between myself and the two boys. My main marker is an autococker tweaked to the edge and when it acts up I throw the cocker in the case and get out the old reliable spyder.

The regulator on it is troublesome and widely disrespected. Usually ceases to function right after the warrenty expires.

The mini expansion chamber on all the spyders are worthless for CO2 applications. And I should confess that I am NOT a fan of CO2 though I still own and carry CO2 for backup air at scenerio games. A bottle of CO2 is better than no air at all. Any day of the week.

The rest is cosmetics and offers no performace over a much less expensive Compact 2000.

Most are look-like-an-autococker cosmetics to help sell their markers for more money. The back cocking bolt and beaver tail are 'cocker imitation'. The bolt is slower and harder to cock than a side cocking spyder. The beaver tail scratches your mask until you learn to stop holding it so close to your face. Something a cocker owner HAS to live with but Not someone paying extra buying a spyder to find out they have to live with...

The rest of the internals of the Shutter is the same as your $89 Compact 2000. Interchangable parts. Literally.

Now my recommendations:

Refer to:
http://www.kingmanusa.com/spyder/index.html

I assume you want a bottom line. You can buy the marker with one or without one and spend $20 and buy an after market one.

That is the difference between the Jave 2+1 and the Compact Deluxe.

The only difference between the Compact and Compact Delux is the availability of colors.

You should get flashy, cool looking RED one so you will be easier for ME to see you trying to hide in those bushes... Definately NOT the plain Black One that is hard for these old eyes to see hiding in the bushes.. Please!

You will notice IMMEDIATELY there is NO expansion chamber at all on any of them.

If you have to use CO2 just spend $30 and go buy a full height aftermarket expansion chamger. Just screw it in the vertical ASA and hook up the hose.

Now compare the price you planned to spend for the Shutter plus a $35 - 20 oz CO2 bottle.

Now the price of the Spyder Compact + $20 for an aftermarket bottom line + $85 for a Pure Energy 68 ci x 3000 psi Steel Nitro bottle. Same shots and weight as a full 20 oz CO2 bottle.

ABOUT the SAME money and you already have solved ALL of the CO2 problems you would otherwise have by getting the nitro upgrade for about the same price. Then you don't need the expense and added weight of an expansion chamber. You won't have shoot down. You won't get bounces instead of breaks on opposing players, Your ball will go the same place each time you aim it. You gun won't get so dirty internally from contaminants usually found in CO2. So you internals will last longer.

A side point but file it in your gray matter data base for future use. Down the road you may want to get a regulator and go to LP. If you think that is a remote possibility or have to get an aftermarket expansion chamber you have to worry about the tread compatibility with the stock Spyder bottomline hose. They are non standard from the rest of the paintball world. Their way of forcing you to buy THEIR after market stuff at THEIR inflated prices.

If you buy the AFTERMARKET bottomline that uses Standard Threads (1/4 NTP), then upgrading down the road will NOT be an issue for you. They will fit every regulator made. Otherwise you buy an adaptor fitting for $10 or replace the bottom line when you upgrade.

When you buy a bottom line Do NOT buy the one bottom line fits all markers brands. Instead of HOLES to mount it to the grip, they have slots. Your tank will wobble in the slots and you will be tempted to tighten the bolts a little more. You strip out the threads or break the plastic grip. No matter what you do, they will wobble. So don't buy one.

Spend the same money and get one that have the holes made to FIT a spyder grip. The ONLY one Bottomline ASA with both have two sets of holes. One for standard grips and a pair for spyders. The trick is it has to be turned up one way or the other to fit. So there is NO angle down for the tank to fit that many players like to have. See the angle of the tank orientation of the other spyders on the Kingman website to see what I am talking about. This bottom line purchase is NOT an Easy Internet purchase. This is a local store purchase. Same price basically figuring shipping and handling vs sales tax.

Send me an e mail and I can tell you where and how to pick up very inexpensive BLACK regulators that work great for CO2 or LP spyder applications.
They fit in the vertical ASA on a spyder and have the standard 1/4 NPT fitting comming right out the bottom of the reg. Just screw in the hose and set the reg. $20-30.
Ddupont@charter.net

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Show your name as:

E-Mail address (eg: joeschmoe@aol.com):

Show your e-mail address?

Your Password:

Don't have a password? CLICK HERE - Forgot your password? CLICK HERE

Subject:

Subject:Message:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tech Talk - Spyder ]

Copyright © 1992-2019 Corinthian Media Services.

WARPIG's webmasters can be reached through our feedback form.  All articles and images are copyrighted and may not be redistributed without the written permission of their original creators and Corinthian Media Services. The WARPIG paintball page is a collection of information and pointers to sources from around the internet and other locations. As such, Corinthian Media Services makes no claims to the trustworthiness or reliability of said information. The information contained in, and referenced by WARPIG, should not be used as a substitute for safety information from trained professionals in the paintball industry.