paintballHomepaintballPicturespaintballTechnicalpaintballTournamentpaintballRecreationalpaintballFieldspaintballStorespaintball
paintballBeginner InfopaintballNews And ArticlespaintballLinkspaintballResourcespaintballVideopaintballContact UspaintballSearchpaintball
WARPIG Rec Talk

Rookie's perpective

In Reply to: Full Auto on Fields posted by Jayson Orvis on August 06, 2003 at 14:27:53:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Rec Talk ]

Posted by:
Clayphoto

on August 09, 2003 at 11:30:46

For perspective, I have been playing every weekend since March and have not played before. My own gun is a Custom 98 running CO2 and stock trigger. I've been playing against people ranging from $100 to $3000 gun setups. I'm also 32 years old and been shooting real guns since before I can remember.

In terms of safety, I think the biggest risk out there are the ultra-light electronic triggers. I know the first electronic Spyder I held was handed to me while another eleminated player went back on the field to do a paintcheck. He handed the gun off to me, I grabbed the gun by the grip. Per habit, I layed my index finger across the trigger frame and layed them down on the front trigger guard so my fingers were to the side of the trigger instead of in front. Popped a ball into the barrel condom.

Yes, you could argue that I was an idiot for having my fingers anywhere near the trigger. I'd argue the same now that I know about them. But at the same time, that is a design that incourages accidents. Others in here have given other good examples of what this leads to.

The next biggest thing is the masks. Have to applaud JT in that regard. Chin straps are a good move, so are full head protection designs. The one thing I haven't seen alot of.... at the field I go to probably 2/3rds of the people are kids under 14 years old. I have not been seeing masks that are designed from scratch specifically for kids smaller heads.

Now for game play;
The arguement that it is impracticle to restrict the rate of fire on electronic semi-auto guns really falls flat to me. Companies making the grips can program whatever they want on electronic grips.

Also, very cheap technology exists for modules to allows fields to change if grip makers make a very small effort to cooperate. Look at your flash sticks on your Playstation, USB ports in your digital cameras. I don't buy the idea that reliabile, cheap, and easy to use standards cannot be created to limit rate of fire. It would be much more difficult to regulate mechanical rate of fire than it would electronic.

Now the real question to me would be is there a solid will in the sport to reduce the rate of fire? My own opinion, I don't think so for two reasons. 1st is that for players that have been playing for 4 years and spend thousands of dollars tend to demand to have as much of an arms race option as possible. The second reason is that for business owners of verious levels see players that shoot 15bps all the time, and they see players that shoot 8 a second and their favorite customer quickly becomes the first one.

Okay guys, rip that post up! :)
Clayton

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Show your name as:

E-Mail address (eg: joeschmoe@aol.com):

Show your e-mail address?

Your Password:

Don't have a password? CLICK HERE - Forgot your password? CLICK HERE

Subject:

Subject:Message:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Rec Talk ]

Copyright © 1992-2019 Corinthian Media Services.

WARPIG's webmasters can be reached through our feedback form.  All articles and images are copyrighted and may not be redistributed without the written permission of their original creators and Corinthian Media Services. The WARPIG paintball page is a collection of information and pointers to sources from around the internet and other locations. As such, Corinthian Media Services makes no claims to the trustworthiness or reliability of said information. The information contained in, and referenced by WARPIG, should not be used as a substitute for safety information from trained professionals in the paintball industry.