paintballHomepaintballPicturespaintballTechnicalpaintballTournamentpaintballRecreationalpaintballFieldspaintballStorespaintball
paintballBeginner InfopaintballNews And ArticlespaintballLinkspaintballResourcespaintballVideopaintballContact UspaintballSearchpaintball
WARPIG Tech Talk - Spyder

Re: Rain strategies for electros.

In Reply to: water-proofing an E frame posted by dazedconfused78 on February 08, 2003 at 02:56:02:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tech Talk - Spyder ]

Posted by:
Dale "Head_Hunters" DuPont
on February 10, 2003 at 10:53:16

We play a lot of scenerio games. They play rain or shine or snow.... We play year round in the rain, snow, whatever down to about 20 degrees. Spyders and cockers.
We have immersed our markers in water from time to time but always were able to finnish the days play but not necessarily with a working REVY.

We run up the creek, waded the shoreline, and show up places we aren't expected. You should see my boy with two ammo pods stuck behind is mask head band and swimming holding his spyder out of the water. He's always been a sneaky little $#&#! Comes in handy when he is on OUR side.

I've noticed the electro markers don't even pre register unless they have a non electro marker backup. Rain and electros don't seem to mix well. The guys with the expensive ones won't even play in heavy dew....

But they sure talk tough until it gets CLOUDY. Then they start frowning and we start smiling and talking 'trash' about electro markers. 'They are just fair weather, tournament players.' 'They can't play in REAL War Game Conditions..' 'They are wimps and woosies.'

All kidding aside, water exposure is NOT covered by warrenty. I don't blame them for wanting to take care of their stuff... I do....

Assuming you are talking about playing in the rain then here are some things to consider.

Three strategies:

1. Switch to a non electronic grip. Not a few players that bought Flash grips keep their old grip handy for rainy days. Keep your eye open for a deal on one and pick one up. Or pick up a cheap back up non electric marker. $70 will get you a NEW Compact with nothing on it. If you use nitro, that is all you need.... You've got your hopper, barrel, etc.

2. Keep rain OFF the marker so it can't get into it.

Just make a rain 'poncho' for the marker. Some water repellent material, (camo?) with a hole to drape over the ball chute and sew the end together to make a tube for the barrel to keep it from rotating during play. If you have a side or top cocking bolt, you should make a something to hold the material away and off the bolt knob while it cycles so it won't get hung up. A light wire frame should do it using grip, receiver, detent, etc screws to mount it. Leave access to cock it easily from underneath the poncho.

3. If rain gets ON it, devise way to keep water from getting into it and the electronics.

You won't ever get it 'waterproof' as in falling down in the creek and immersing it. The top of the grip is open and can't be sealed. The easiest access of water is the bolt and down through the receiver.

Too early, I can't rememeber if the receiver has a cocking rod slot or not. If so rain has access through that slot. But the marker is a blow back and every time you fire it air and water is blown out the slot and grips. Using it would probably just keep a little rain out. Remember that blow back also goes into the grip too. I would blow out any that runs into the grip but it would need a place to get out the bottom.

If not in use, and you don't like the poncho idea, I would protect that bolt slot from rain. Masking tape while stalking and just shoot your target. It will come right off.

Think about HOW water gets into it. Capillary action sucks water into the cracks and seams. Grip covers to frame. Receiver body to grip. Battery cover. Screw holes. Don't forget the seam between the two halves of your REVY Hopper. Always Keep you powder dry!

The sealer fills the gap.

I use some good old VASELINE. To prevent chaffing in the summer.... Apply liberally and wear cotton BOXERS. Ask your VETS what a pair of briefs will do to you on a 10 miler hike.

But it is good on markers too. It will fill the gap, it repels water, The excess wipes off and and cleans easily with alcohol. Parts come apart easily. Don't glue your marker together to waterproof it.

Don't forget your Revy. Loosen the screw and wipe some into the seam between the left and right shell halves. Retighten the screws and clean any excess off that wound up inside. Then when it RAINs wipe a finger covered in Vaseline on the outside of the hopper seam. It will repel water. Just keep and eye on the water beads and make sure you maintain a layer of Vaseline on the seam to repel water. Ditto a wipe around the OUTSIDE of where the hopper meets the ball chute and elbows. Repel the water at the cracks that would normally just suck in water from capillary action.

If water gets in your grip you want it to have a place to get out of your marker rather than accumulating and sloshing around.

I'd locate that exit near the bottom /front part of the grip. A gap between the grip cover and frame. A small hole. A piece of fine wire between the grip and frame to be a spacer. The blow back will force any water out.

If you completely sealed it, you could create problems for yourself.

If you get any moisture on your marker, you HAVE to do a near complete teardown to get the water out. Things inside there rust. Hammer, springs, etc. Only thing NOT removed is the Valve.

We remove our grips but don't disassemble them.

We rinse the dirt out by holding them under the faucet. Then we blow them out with compressed air and set them on the heat register.

Even when the air conditioner is running that is low humidity air.... Good for drying overnight.

A warm spot is also good. Top of the TV /Stereo Under a lamp. Hair dryer.

Next day, we re lubed and reassemble. Regular lubing keeps water away from steel internally.

If I had an electro grip, the first thing I would do is remove the grip and take the grip covers off. Remove the battery. Clean as needed. Blow it out (You can buy compressed air for cleaning electronics parts at Radio Shack) Then put it in a good spot overnight to dry it.

Check with radio shack or someone more knowledgable than I on electronics but I USED to see some spray that was used on electronic components to clean contacts, relays, solenoids, etc. Non conductive, non solvent, etc. But if I remember right it left a water repellent residue.

If so, I would think about spraying your board and solenoid with that stuff just to repel water.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Show your name as:

E-Mail address (eg: joeschmoe@aol.com):

Show your e-mail address?

Your Password:

Don't have a password? CLICK HERE - Forgot your password? CLICK HERE

Subject:

Subject:Message:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tech Talk - Spyder ]

Copyright © 1992-2019 Corinthian Media Services.

WARPIG's webmasters can be reached through our feedback form.  All articles and images are copyrighted and may not be redistributed without the written permission of their original creators and Corinthian Media Services. The WARPIG paintball page is a collection of information and pointers to sources from around the internet and other locations. As such, Corinthian Media Services makes no claims to the trustworthiness or reliability of said information. The information contained in, and referenced by WARPIG, should not be used as a substitute for safety information from trained professionals in the paintball industry.