paintballHomepaintballPicturespaintballTechnicalpaintballTournamentpaintballRecreationalpaintballFieldspaintballStorespaintball
paintballBeginner InfopaintballNews And ArticlespaintballLinkspaintballResourcespaintballVideopaintballContact UspaintballSearchpaintball
WARPIG Tech Talk - Spyder
Re: Spyder 2000: should I fix it?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tech Talk - Spyder ]

Posted by Mike "MJP" Pfeffer on September 11, 2002 at 05:09:41:

In Reply to: Re: Spyder 2000: should I fix it? posted by WARPIG Tech on September 09, 2002 at 17:28:58:

Well, what I was considering is this: fixing the bolt ($40), a basic electro trigger (Maybe the Rebel '02, Spyder Sprint, or either the straight or LED flavors of PI's M3 trigger) (No more than $100 for that), a decent quality barrel (I currently have a 14" Tru-Flight... only slightly better than the stock, but noticeably so), (I'd prefer to spend $70 and get something nice) and if I've got a decent job and surplus of cash, a nitro tank.

I run a remote, and that supposedly eliminates the need for an X-chamber. If I go for nitro, I might upgrade the stock reg, too. Is this a decent setup for this gun to keep it going?

: : I have a Spyder 2000 (Not Compact) and recently, the rear snap-cocker bolt fell out. To top it off, the trigger frame is missing a screw and is currently electrical-taped in place. I paid $80 for the marker and the bolt parts are going to cost $40 all told to fix. I can get a trigger frame screw for nothing on top of that, all from Kingman, and in terms of upgrades I might also get a Sprint trigger frame. If I get a new gun, I'd probably have to do this anyway, but something tells me this Spyder will continue to be iffy.

: Spending $40 to get it going, isn't all that outrageous. Looking to drop more money than that (new trigger frame, etc.) you might look at other paintguns, and keeping the Spyder as a backup/loaner.

: : Is it really worth upgrading all this?

: IMHO, with many of the lower end paintguns, you can spend a lot of money on "upgrades" that give questionable performance increases, and end up spending near to, or more than the cost of a better paintgun.

: :I've been thinking about the Tippmann 98 with a Flatline, but I've heard that it's not good for rapid fire- the backspin supposedly puts massive stress on the paintballs- and the Flatline is a b!tch to clean.

: My thoughts on this - I've had no problems with mine relating to rapid fire, and the Flatline can be cleaned with a squeegie, just like any other barrel (OK, you can't use a battle swab, but I use a straight shot squeegie, and it just bends when you put it in the barrel).

: In my experience the drawback with the Flatline is a decrease in accuracy compared to a good aftermarket barrel on the M98. I like it in scenario and big games in the woods though. In that type of situation, you get more range over your opponents, and if you're shooting at a group of people (as happens in a big game) accuracy isn't so important - just shoot at the middle of the group and you're bound to hit someone. For Speedball type games, it's not so good, IMHO. You'll notice that Tippmann Effect, doesn't use Flatline barrels when playing tournaments on concept fields.

: : Should I upgrade this Spyder? Should I go for a 98? What about the Tippmann A-5?

: Depends on your preferences. The A-5 sports a better feed system than the M98 (and it rips with a response trigger) and is much easier to take apart for cleaning and maintenance. On the downside, it is more costly.

: : Then again, if I'm going to pay $250 and around for a marker, shouldn't I get a base Cocker or a Mag? Any thoughts?

: That's something to consider as well.

: See you on the field,
: -Bill Mills

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Show your name as:

E-Mail address (eg: joeschmoe@aol.com):

Show your e-mail address?

Your Password:

Don't have a password? CLICK HERE - Forgot your password? CLICK HERE

Subject:

Subject:Message:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tech Talk - Spyder ]

Copyright © 1992-2019 Corinthian Media Services.

WARPIG's webmasters can be reached through our feedback form.  All articles and images are copyrighted and may not be redistributed without the written permission of their original creators and Corinthian Media Services. The WARPIG paintball page is a collection of information and pointers to sources from around the internet and other locations. As such, Corinthian Media Services makes no claims to the trustworthiness or reliability of said information. The information contained in, and referenced by WARPIG, should not be used as a substitute for safety information from trained professionals in the paintball industry.