paintballHomepaintballPicturespaintballTechnicalpaintballTournamentpaintballRecreationalpaintballFieldspaintballStorespaintball
paintballBeginner InfopaintballNews And ArticlespaintballLinkspaintballResourcespaintballVideopaintballContact UspaintballSearchpaintball
WARPIG Rec Talk

It was pretty accurate and well researched.

In Reply to: Paintball in the news, safety,doctors,bad press??? posted by Mothman on January 13, 2004 at 17:28:58:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Rec Talk ]

Posted by:
Dale "Head_Hunters" DuPont
on January 14, 2004 at 10:49:20

I have researched the issue my self as part of my ongoing campaign to get ASTM /manufacturers /insurance companies /PLAYERS to get on the stick and keep up with the evolution of the sport.

Still, I sent them an E mail. What do you guys think about what I have to say? Word for Word below:

"In reference to the article at:

http://www.hon.ch/News/HSN/516776.html

There was some MINOR incorrect information to an otherwise excellent and informative article.

I looked for a place to respond and discovered there wasn't one available. Not 'letters to the editor' or "Feedback" to submit dissenting opinions and factual information. Frankly, you should. You are in the COMMUNICATIONS BUSINESS. There is no 'communication' unless information can be exchanged.

Think about it for just a little bit.

First the minor error. A .22 cal short pistol has the slowest velocity of any firearm in production in the US with a muzzle velocity in the 900 fps range.

300 fps is about the upper end of velocity that a bow and arrow can produce. Some older pumped up Air rifles can match that 300 fps and approach that 900 fps range of a .22 short.

'That small size, combined with a muzzle velocity of up to 300 feet per second, about the speed of some bullets, means if the paint pellet hits the eye directly....'

So that statement is enough of an exaggeration (by a factor of 3), that I don't think it can be called factual.

I understand that your organization was not the original author but your organization's mission is to provide reliable and factual information affecting health and safety issues.

I wanted to respond with the correct information and add some information that you might consider including because I am also a big fan of safety and have played paintball for 9 years and witnessed the changes in the sport and my fair share of injuries and close calls.

First, the sport has an excellent safety record and the field owners and players work HARD to keep it that way. Some kid will flip up his mask after a game. There are still 50 paintball markers loaded, aired up, no barrel plug and ready to fire in his vicinity. He usually gets yelled at BY multiple PLAYERS before the referee spots him. LOTS of peer pressure to BE SAFE on the commercial fields.

If you would like to include this information in that article or another let me know I will dig out the source. Statistics are kept on sports injuries. An injury requiring medical treatment per sport encounter, generates RISK data for that sport that is used by a variety of interested parties such as insurance companies. Using that source it seems that paintball is a safer sport than Little League Baseball.

As your article correctly pointed out, the vast majority of paintball injuries occurred in non commercial, unsupervised, play involving minors.... THAT couldn't be emphasized enough.

There have been changes in the sport to improve safety. Too few in the area of facemask protection and manufacturing of paintball equipment.. ASTM sets the standards that manufacturers use. Those have not been upgraded in YEARS. The manufacturers calculate settlements costs and buy product liability insurance. That does NOTHING to improve safety until it is significantly affecting the math on their bottom line enough to calculate that a design change would be more cost effective.

In my opinion, it is sadly lacking behind the changes in the sport that simply require higher standards of protection now more than ever. The interest and availability of war game scenario play has exploded all across the country in the last 2-3 years. Fastest growing 'market' in the sport.

These are insured games at commercial fields with a high standard of safety for all the equipment that is used.

Being war game simulations. There are simulated weapons and some shoot projectiles other than a single paintballs. Some are quite benign. Helicopters can land troops behind enemy lines. (a pole and a rope carried by players that are immune to paintball 'small arms fire' until it lands.) Others like TANK cannons and Rocket Propelled Grenade Launchers Shoot a mass of 20-30 paintballs all at once or a Nerf Pocket Rocket. which is a 2" diameter foam football with fins.

So far the rule NOT to aim those items directly at players has kept it injury free not to say people haven't been hit with them. 'Accidents' happen. I have been hit, point blank in the facemask, with a Nerf Rocket by the owner of the field that had just lectured everyone at a briefing to NOT SHOOT RPGs directly at players. Well, my head popped around that corner just as he pulled the trigger to shoot a tank behind me.

I sustained no injury but I can't help but wonder if I would have if I hadn't modified my mask to provide more throat protection. It hit me right on the chin part of the mask and would have certainly struck my neck had I not modified my mask. I also have no doubt the clear lens would have withstood the impact if that had been the case. Might have cracked it but would not have penetrated it or shattered it.

The neck is totally exposed. The reason I added throat protection to my mask and my two son's masks was because some YEARS ago I witnessed a player take a single shot to the voice box at about 3 feet from the muzzle. It spasmed or was damaged to the extent he was not able to breathe. He was literally turning blue from anoxia when the ambulance arrived and got some Oxygen on him. That could happen NOW to anyone on any day of paintball play. But not to myself or my kids. We added throat protection.

Rules imposed by the insurance carriers and / or field owner have changed as the result of Near Misses or actual Injuries. Needless to say, they are very conservative in the absence of any real testing or materials safety data.

Starting Jan 1. 2004 at all commercially insured fields Barrel plugs are No Longer permitted to be used as a safety device to block an accidentally discharged marker in a goggles off area. They now require a 'barrel condom' that is a heavy bag that is secured OVER the barrel that can withstand multiple rounds being accidentally discharged. The change was in response to the close calls with new products in the market place. There are markers being used on those fields that are electronically controlled and can be programmed to shot 3, 5, 7, 10 round bursts with a single pull of the trigger. With a barrel plug, the first ball or two of a 10 round burst removes the barrel plug and the remaining balls fly in random directions in an area full of unprotected players. It will be interesting to see IF and WHEN the marker manufacturers provide barrel condoms when their markers are sold like they have for years by furnishing barrel plugs.

They NOW require the 20-30 paintball rounds used by the cannons to be "made on site, using paintballs furnished by the field" This came directly from a player using one he had made that was left over from the previous season. The balls had stuck together into a solid mass instead of spreading out into a 'shotgun-like' pattern. It was fired at a Van converted into a tank on the field of play. The round penetrated the netting covering the windshield, shattered the windshield, and buried itself INSIDE the unoccupied passenger seat back. That could have been lethal. Mask or no mask. The tank was owned by the field sponsoring the event so it got some quick publication to the paintball community, other field owners, and insurance carriers of the fields.

I have lost my mask during play and on numerous occasions seen other players lose their masks as well. The current 'standard' uses 'a one size fits all size heads approach' AND uses an adjustable, elastic head band to secure it on your head. Well, one size does NOT fit all heads. If small kids with small heads are going to play, they need a smaller mask. They do in football and hockey. Duh! Where is common sense on this one? Not in the Board Rooms of the Paintball Manufacturers. They just figure the disclaimer printed on the side of the box in fine print about appropriate ages for their products use would cover them. That ink is cheaper.

The most common cause of losing a mask is simply falling down. Gee, something one would expect to happen on a regular basis. If the mask hits the ground while the player is still sliding forwards, the mask rolls right off his head and winds up under his chest. Especially those sold with attached sun visors that come in contact with the ground every time you fall forward.

A chin strap would alleviate this issue greatly. ASTM standards require them in football and hockey. Why not paintball? ASTM is just not keeping up with the sport and their 'advisory committees' are controlled by the manufacturers and NOT players or consumers.

Now with projectiles being fired that are considerably heavier, the potential for a facemask to be removed is greatly increased. A chinstrap in now on my mask and my kids mask as the result of my encounter with that Rocket Propelled Grenade to my face.

I would like you to consider accepting the bulk of this e mail to be submitted as a potential article for your website. It would need to be edited and sources documented. Loose some of the opinion and editorial commentary. Let me know what your requirements would be if you would consider a submission appropriate.

Dale DuPont"

Follow Ups:
  • insertions "soipledulsego" Oman 11:24:37 05/12/08 (0)

Post a Followup

Show your name as:

E-Mail address (eg: joeschmoe@aol.com):

Show your e-mail address?

Your Password:

Don't have a password? CLICK HERE - Forgot your password? CLICK HERE

Subject:

Subject:Message:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Rec Talk ]

Copyright © 1992-2019 Corinthian Media Services.

WARPIG's webmasters can be reached through our feedback form.  All articles and images are copyrighted and may not be redistributed without the written permission of their original creators and Corinthian Media Services. The WARPIG paintball page is a collection of information and pointers to sources from around the internet and other locations. As such, Corinthian Media Services makes no claims to the trustworthiness or reliability of said information. The information contained in, and referenced by WARPIG, should not be used as a substitute for safety information from trained professionals in the paintball industry.