paintballHomepaintballPicturespaintballTechnicalpaintballTournamentpaintballRecreationalpaintballFieldspaintballStorespaintball
paintballBeginner InfopaintballNews And ArticlespaintballLinkspaintballResourcespaintballVideopaintballContact UspaintballSearchpaintball
WARPIG Rec Talk

Re: HELP with yearbook predjudice against paintball

In Reply to: HELP with yearbook predjudice against paintball posted by Cruton on October 27, 2003 at 15:28:08:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Rec Talk ]

Posted by:
Clayphoto

on October 27, 2003 at 22:44:38

First and foremost, figure out SPECIFICALLY what the issue is for you and why it is important. For example, is the point that your picture is "YOUR" part of the yearbook and that's what you want to see in 20 years? Is it a political point about promoting paintball to you? Is it about censorship to you and you just want your voice heard?

The more clear you are on that the better you will be able to pick your arguments, and avoid the arguments that would waste everybody's time.

For example, if the point to you is a political issue then the yearbook is actually unimportant. Have a talk with them, but if they turn you down it's actually of benefit to you. Let the yearbook "ban" your picture and talk to the journalism department or you local newspaper instead. If the point is censorship in the school, then there are other avenues you could use in school too. School newspaper if you have one, speech classes, forensics, etc.

No matter your angle, I would challenge your instructor about the "weapons" comment. ESPECIALLY if your school has an ROTC, school security, police, or active military personnel story that showed true weapons. Second of all, a paintball gun is no more of a weapon then waterguns or baseball bats. Third of all, it is inherently less violent and dangerous wrestling and football.

And last, don't go to your teacher on the offensive. Especially over the past 30 years or so teachers often feel constantly under a microscope largely because they always are. Anybody with a personal or political agenda can make a teacher's year almost a living hell anytime somebody feels like it. It's possible that you could find your teacher and their administration could care less if you have a picture of you and your marker in the yearbook. They may just not want to start their next school year with a political organization (or two) picketing the school grounds and demanding voter recalls because of a picture in a yearbook. Sometimes a teachers job is to be as saccharin and unnoticed as possible.

Well, probably talked to long already! :)

: I'm a senior in high school, and in our yearbook, seniors can submit pics of important parts of our lives. I put in some pics of me playing paintball. I got a call from the yearbook teacher saying we can't submit photos of students with weapons. Is there anything I can to about this? I want everyone's ideas before I go see my counsilor

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Show your name as:

E-Mail address (eg: joeschmoe@aol.com):

Show your e-mail address?

Your Password:

Don't have a password? CLICK HERE - Forgot your password? CLICK HERE

Subject:

Subject:Message:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Rec Talk ]

Copyright © 1992-2019 Corinthian Media Services.

WARPIG's webmasters can be reached through our feedback form.  All articles and images are copyrighted and may not be redistributed without the written permission of their original creators and Corinthian Media Services. The WARPIG paintball page is a collection of information and pointers to sources from around the internet and other locations. As such, Corinthian Media Services makes no claims to the trustworthiness or reliability of said information. The information contained in, and referenced by WARPIG, should not be used as a substitute for safety information from trained professionals in the paintball industry.