paintballHomepaintballPicturespaintballTechnicalpaintballTournamentpaintballRecreationalpaintballFieldspaintballStorespaintball
paintballBeginner InfopaintballNews And ArticlespaintballLinkspaintballResourcespaintballVideopaintballContact UspaintballSearchpaintball
WARPIG Rec Talk

Battle of the Bulge Review....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Rec Talk ]

Posted by:
Dale "Head_Hunters" DuPont
on October 07, 2003 at 19:10:35

Just got back from a Great Game. Battle of the Bulge - part of the D Day Series.

The Allies soundly defeated the Germans with superior command and control and some dedicated TEAM players. It is calculated that the Allied barely pulled into the points lead for the entire D Day series. The Battle of Berlin on Nov 8-9 will determine the final points standings. I know the field and it will include some house to house fighting in the 13 mobile homes in their village compound. Lots of woods and terrain with creeks and bridges. It will be a great game..

However, the gutsy move of the Battle of the Bulge Game was made by the Germans playing for pride at the end of the game. They loaded a Tank / Van full of players and used their gunner to get everyone's head down at the German Firebase at the Crossroads currently occupied by Allied forces. The van stopped, machine gunner ceased fire while the tank is not moving per the rules and 8 guys piled out of the van and ran 15 feet and bunkered everyone in the base and took it back. For about 4 minutes until the tank left the vicinity. Then a swarm of Allied came upon them fron 3 directions....

This was the FIRST Scenerio Game I have attended that I could get a full 4500 psi Nitro Fill ALL DAY LONG! Kudos to the Producer and Field Owner.

Like EVERY game, People were griping about the paint. But some of this was deserved. Lots of barrel breaks regardless of marker brand or quality. Dimpled paint was served to the early paint purchasers. Later paint was roundish but shot poorly. I usually shoot less than 3/4 case but shot 1 1/2 cases this weekend.

Part of that was the accuracy of the paint but out of fairness the much of field set up was fairly open ground with bunkers and cover 30 yards apart being common. So their was a LOT of long balling paint being shot.

This was the FIRST game I have played where the players markers were marked with glow stick rings.

Previously, all night games I have played had the players unlighted unless they furnished their own flashlight or spotlight.

One of the first D Day games had the PROPS lighted with glow rings that both sides were to retrieve or defend. The props had to be returned to their respective HeadQuarters to score points for being retrieved. If not, it was successfully defended and the other team got the points.

This was a different experience for me. I decided to ponder a day or two before commenting.

There IS the obvious safety factor. This definitely cuts down on point blank shooting. If they have their eyes OPEN they can see you comming. No crawling or sneaking up on people. Something I LIKE TO DO...

And, of course, people were TOLD they couldn't cover up the glow ring. So a few did anyway. Hoppers under camo BDU coats, hands over the rings. and ring removed and placed to the the side of the player on the ground to misdirect incomming fire was observed by Both Sides.

Holding your hopper in plain view but behind you while advancing toward your opponent seemed to be the best way to approach. Looked really strange with paintball players walking and running with their markers pointing behind them...

So it wound up being a night of speedball in the dark. No team came CLOSE to taking the other teams base tactically. People tried smoke and everything they could think of to no avail. A paint consuming standoff. Great for paint sales but a lame result in retrospect.

Sunday was great. Ran numerious missions. Played until 3:00 pm. Later than many scenerio games that stopped at noon. So we got our moneys worth in play.... Facilities were good. FREE Coffee.

Refs were right on top of things but like most games some weren't entirely sure of some of the fine points of the rules. Most had radios but not all. But they were right there with players that might have been injured and dealt quickly with the smoke bomb starting a trailer on fire briefly. They call a game wide cease fire, got the people out first, then stomped out the fire and did a restart. Handled very well.

I think we can look forward to a new rule about NOT throwing smoke into structures and buildings.....

What do you all think about the Glow stick colors on the hoppers for night games.

Me I long for sneaking, crawling, and BSing my way through enemy lines. I still managed to be the farthest advancing player towards the enemy HQ and did it THREE TIMES. The third time I took a Squad with me. They had beefed up their perimeter security and forces and easily defended our attack. I tried leaving my marker in the brush and advancing only with a grenade in the dark. Crawled right up onto a defender. Seems they figured I would be back...

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Show your name as:

E-Mail address (eg: joeschmoe@aol.com):

Show your e-mail address?

Your Password:

Don't have a password? CLICK HERE - Forgot your password? CLICK HERE

Subject:

Subject:Message:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Rec Talk ]

Copyright © 1992-2019 Corinthian Media Services.

WARPIG's webmasters can be reached through our feedback form.  All articles and images are copyrighted and may not be redistributed without the written permission of their original creators and Corinthian Media Services. The WARPIG paintball page is a collection of information and pointers to sources from around the internet and other locations. As such, Corinthian Media Services makes no claims to the trustworthiness or reliability of said information. The information contained in, and referenced by WARPIG, should not be used as a substitute for safety information from trained professionals in the paintball industry.